Meinungen zum Gastfamilienbrief?

Hallo Leute!
Ich hab endlich meinen Host Family letter fertig und wollte mal ein paar Meinungen hören, z.B. ob ich an einer Stelle zu viel oder zu wenig geschrieben hab, ob ich was weglassen kann oder ob was fehlt und so.

Dear host family,
My name is ---- and I’m15 years old. I’ll live with you as my family for about one year, that’s why I want to tell you thing’s a family should know.

I was born on November 19th in Berlin. I live in -------, a city with about 100,000 inhabitants. It is next to -------, and it’s the capital of -----------. I live here with my sister ----, who is two years younger than me, with my parents ----- (48) and ----- (50) and our two guinea pigs (Pete and Teddy). I like animals very much, except spiders and so on… uaah. Because I like animals so much, I’m a vegetarian. I can’t handle the thought to bite in a cute sheep-baby or a rabbit. But for me it is okay when my family eats meat, then I just eat the vegetables.

I am currently visiting the 10th grade in the -------- -Gymnasium in -------. My favorite subjects are art and geography. In school I’m also in the art work group, the student newspaper and our so called “refugees-active-team”.

After school I play the harp every Monday and go two to three times a week to taekwondo. Once a month I’m involved as a group leader in the confirmation group. I was confirmed in 2014. I’m a Christian, but I don’t go to church that often, just on Christmas Eve and sometimes in the year.

In my free time I like to draw and write stories and I think, I’m a very creative person in generally.
My favorite books are all the Harry Potter books (I also started to read them in English), but when I have to choose one, I would choose the third. I really love Harry Potter: the books, the movies, the actors (I’m a big fan of Emma Watson) and all the fandom. And I also like Disney very much. That I like those “children-things” does not mean I’m childlike. Most people say, I’m well developed for my age. I often think about the world and its problems and have my own opinion about that. But I enjoy talking and discussing with people about critical politic topics (which I am really interested in, but I’m not interested in political meetings or voting’s).

When I meet people the first time, I am very shy and retiring. But after some days or maybe just some hours, I am candid and merry, and with my friends I can be crazy and funny.

For my future I have many ideas. After my graduation I want to do a voluntary year at the army, because I want to make a difference. There are so many problems and injustices in the world, and I hate it to hear from them in the news, knowing I can’t do anything. But if I would be a solider, I can help in refugee-camps or at flooding’s or something. That’s why I’m interested in becoming a police-women later too. I’m also thinking about to become a restorer, because I like drawing and detailed works, or an actress, because I like playing dramas (and when brushing my teeth I often imagine dialogs), or a stewardess, because I love travelling and visiting other countries.

That’s one of the causes why I want to make a year in another country. And why the USA? Because, as you now know, I’m not really sure what to do after school. In the USA on High Schools, you have many possibilities for courses to learn about different jobs. I also think, a year abroad will make your head free to learn more for your life. You’ll get different perspectives of life and you can gain valuable experiences. I also want to go to the USA, because it’s a country I don’t know much about. And in our last summer vacations I lived for two weeks in a British family, so I already saw England from the “family view”. And I think, I won’t have so many chances in my live to visit America! And if, I will see it from the view of a tourist, but you learn much more about a country and its culture, if you are a part of this culture, in a family.

Another big cause why I want to visit the USA, is to improve my English. I’ve learned English since my first schoolyear, but in kindergarten we also did some English games with simple words like apple r mouse. In school we just learn British English, but I want to speak American English as well! I also want to speak more fluent. And, even if my speaking English is ‘acceptable’, my written English is bad. Because, when I write, I think more about the grammar and the tenses (I always mix them up!), and when I speak, I just speak.
I hope, you got a good view on my personality.

Yours sincerely,

Hey!

Super Letter, ich bin echt begeistert. Dein Englisch ist schon richtig gut und Du hast einen großen Wortschatz! Natürlich sind da auch ein paar kleine Fehler drin, aber ich würde das jetzt gar nicht noch mal großartig korrigieren, weil daran sieht Deine Family nur, dass Du noch nicht “perfekt” bist und wissen auch, dass es wirklich von Dir kommt.
Aber trotzdem sehr beeindruckend!

Dein Text ist sehr ausführlich und es wird die Gastfamilie bestimmt freuen, so viel über Dich zu erfahren. Ich finde es auch voll gut, dass Du so kreativ warst und nicht nur die üblichen Standard-Sachen geschrieben hast.

Einzige Anmerkung die mir noch einfällt: Vielleicht setzt Du ans Ende noch ein paar Fragen an die Gastfamilie, über ihr Leben, was sie so mögen, etc. Das bekundet, dass Du auch großes Interesse an ihnen hast und Dich schon freust, sie kennenzulernen.

Liebe Grüße!!

DAAAANKEEEE für die Antwort :smiley: Freut mich, dass mein Brief anscheinend ziemlich gut ist :slight_smile: Danke für dein Feedback und deine Tipps

1 „Gefällt mir“

Hallo Arevija,

Ich kann mich im Großen und Ganzen Jessica anschließen. Es sind ein paar Fehler bzw. “nicht-Perfektheiten” im Brief drinne, aber auch ich denke die sollten drinne bleiben - du schreibst ja auch selbst, dass du dein Englisch verbesser willst (das schreibt wahrscheinlich jeder :smiley: aber viele lassen ihren Brief dann so oft korrektur lesen und feilen so lange daran, dass er 100%ig perfekt ist - was aber leider dem eigenen Sprachniveau nicht entspricht - und das kommt spätestens beim ersten Anruf oder der ersten Mail raus, und dann fühlt sich die GaFa ggf. etwas veräppelt…)

Ein paar Tipps habe ich aber noch:

1. entferne bitte den Teil, dass du gerne über “critical politic topics” diskutierst… Das ist neben Geld, Religion (v.a. Kritik) und natürlich Sex eines der vier NoGo-Themen für Smalltalk, bzw. generell als Gesprächsthema. Vielleicht ergibt es sich ja nach ner Weile, dass ihr auch über Politik reden könnt, und du auch kritische Themen auf den Tisch bringen kannst - aber in nem Gastfamilienbrief hat das meiner Meinung nach nichts zu tun. Du solltest dir sowieso bewusst sein, dass du in den USA den Status “Kind” hast - und daher v.a. anfangs kritische Meinungen besser für dich halten solltest.
  2. den Teil mit Chruch/Religion würde ich umändern… so in der Art “Hier in Deutschland besuche ich zwar ab und an einen Gottesdienst - aber eher unregelmäßig”. Du weißt sicher, dass Religion und Kirche in den USA einen größeren gesellschaftlichen Stellenwert besitzt als in Deutschland. Durch dein Engagement in der Konfirmationsgruppe (ich würde das auch eher “church group” nennen) wirst du dir bei einigen Familien mit Sicherheit Pluspunkte sammeln - und durch das “ich geh aber eigentlich nicht in die Kirche” gleich wieder verspielen… Ich war in der gleichen Situation und hab eben geschrieben, dass ich in D wenig zur Kirche gehe, aber in den USA gerne mit der Familie hingehe. (meine Fam. bezeichnete sich z.B. als “kaum religiös”, aber waren trotzdem mindestens sonntags in der Kirche)
  3. schreibe vllt noch 1-2 weitere Sätze über die Schule (was magst du an deinen Lieblingsfächern genau) und v.a. die Refugee-Gruppe (was machst du da, etc.)

Ich hoffe dir hilft mein kurzes Feedback,

lG
Martin